To accomplish the goal of facilitating learning among the students coming from different social and cultural background, possessing different IQ levels and needs, the teachers employ a variety of teaching strategies to take care of the individual needs of the students. Each learner is central to the institution and steps are ensured for their maximum development.
The different instructional strategies used in the classroom which ensure student centre teaching learning methods are
Experiential learning :
1. Learner centred Teaching : For efficient teaching aimed at providing maximum benefit to the student, the course material is properly divided by the teachers of every department by the Head of the Department. H.O.D. The subject matter is dealt with systematically with proper lesson plan and students are allowed and encouraged to participate and share in the teaching learning process Questions are raised by both teachers and students to evaluate what is learnt. Bilingual method is used in the classroom.
2. Home Assignments : Regular home assignments are given to develop the skill of writing as well as monitor regular study. Assignments are evaluated/checked and returned to the students.
3. Class tests : Class Tests are taken at the end of every unit to test the students’ learning outcome.
Participative Learning :
Participative learning activities include presentation of seminars/Project works, participation in different literary competitions and also community activities. Learning in group is encouraged and students are engaged in activities which promote skill formation. The college has a well-equipped digital library from where the students can gather learning resources. The students actively participate in NCC and NSS camps which boosts their self confidence. Groups of students regularly participate in inter-college competitions and youth festivals. The students’ are provided with mentors/advisors and motivational speakers for their overall personality development.
Problem Solving methodologies :
1. Identifying the advance learners and slow learners.
2. Arranging in tutorials and remedial classes.
3. Working in small group
4. Test at the end of tutorials and remedial classes to monitor students’ progress.
5. Additional learning materials are provided for advance learners.
Continuous Internal Evaluation (CIE) System
As per the regulation of Dibrugarh University for BA/B. Sc/ B. Com examination and evaluation shall be done on a continuous basis. There shall be 20% marks for internal assessment and 80% for external evaluation.
For internal assessment, the college has employed different tools and reformed it from time to time.
Any grievance related to examination is dealt with in the college in the following ways:
1) There is an Examination Monitoring Committee in the institution which also looks after the grievances related to academic matters.
2) The Head of the Departments redress any grievance related to examination and directs for scrutiny and re-evaluation if necessary.
3) For transparency the answer scripts of the sessional exams are properly scrutinized and Shown to the students.
4) The examination committee holds the intra-institutional examination (Mainly Sessional exams) by notifying the routine on the notice board and appointing invigilators.
5) No unfair means is allowed in the examination and use of mobile phone is strictly prohibited
6) The corrected papers are randomly verified by the H. O.D. (head of the Department)
7) Attendance of the students appearing in examination is properly recorded.
8) Redressal of grievances at institutional level is done in two steps:
· Departmental level
· College level